Wednesday, June 22, 2011

10SNE1 or What's All This Racket?

I'm a sports FANATIC! I've watched whole Curling matches before - there's just about no sport I won't watch. It's how I'm wired. So, the other day I was watching a little tennis. I've played before. Once. On a date. Ruthie KILLED me.

I used to like to watch tennis back in the day when the there were a few really good players and they would beat up on each other. I saw a documentary on Chris Everett and Martina Navratilova. I remember those days with fondness - two great players trading victories.

So being a cynical old man watching a sport (any sport) my thoughts throughout the match I saw surprised me: 8% of the game is the hitting, volley, and serve portion of the tennis match. The rest of the time is spent pacing, sneering at the other player, angry at yourself (including talking, screaming and smacking), and tight-roping the back line while dribbling the ball before every serve. 1% of the time is spent arguing with officials as to whether the ball hit the line or not (John McEnroe notwithstanding).

When it is all over, both opponents meet and embrace at the net. I suppose this is a defensive move so as to avoid errant knees.

Oh, and the title of this entry is a license plate I saw once: 10 (ten) S (s) NE1 (anyone) - and the 'racket' joke just had to be done. Sometimes I'm powerless to stop the stupidity.

No comments: