Thursday, September 02, 2010

Gnutella-pathic

I eagerly anticipate the day when the human mind will be decoded and its images can be projected on a TV. Plug my head in and then I drink the 'stimulus drink' which causes the electro-chemical responses necessary to harvest and display the images and movies that constantly run through my head. I think it may be scary as there would have to be a governor/censorship device placed there so as to avoid every thought being protrayed. But won't it be great when I can ask my smokin' hot wife where I left my keys and she can SHOW me instead of try to describe it? Absolute Nirvana.

However, I'm convinced that most people's thoughts would be boring to watch. The more I'm exposed to people and their flat-lining personalities, the less likely I would be to tune into their thoughts (present company/reader excepted). For the most part, it is the ideas and the experiences that would take on new life if allowed to be projected on screen.

I want to see blind people's thoughts. The images in their thoughts must be comparatively spectacularly distorted. Imagine what a tree "looks like" to them. Then imagine something complex like 7-layer dip. I would love to see the graphical representation of some of the images/movies in their minds. That display would be intense and otherworldly.

Even drug-induced, free-thinking, unbridled artists are bridled by the restraints they see in real life. Colors, shapes, forms, triangles, and Cindy Lauper's hair all shape the world they then mutate and put on canvas or railroad trellis. Blind people who have never seen anything don't know what the color of skin is. It is skin colored. Tan. Brown. Black. Red. These are all indescribable and therefore unreproducible.

Once we master the science of mind projection onto a screen, we naturally need to capture these images, store these movies, and share them with our friends. "So, how was it meeting John Cleese for the first time, Mike?" to which Mike responds, "...download this memory and take a look - it was awesome!"

Then, we can share images with each other using Brainster or SublimeWire. That's right, share and share alike.

1 comment:

Rusty Southwick said...

This is a capital idea. It would be a scientific coup to perceive what those blind from birth are perceiving. Through this process, I'd also like to see some of my dreams replayed. Although I would like to screen them first. We all know how bizarre and random dreams can be. But during the dream, things often seem perfectly reasonable. There were some telephone poles in the outfield of a baseball field, just barely on the outfield grass, and I accepted it as a good innovative idea. In a different dream, Bobby Cox the manager was standing amidst several dozen people on a crowded deck while trying to yell his lineup to some official who was about 50 feet away, and that all made sense. Or taking off in an airplane that was under a freeway ramp that kept going up, up, up — that was realistic.

This is why I'd want to screen them first, because of their unpredictability. For all I know, I could be dancing upside down with a turtle in a bowling alley, with all the pins chasing us because we uncovered a plot by recognizing that the bowling balls looked suspiciously like celebrities. And then somebody pressed 'clear', and they all got swept away. Then the bowling alley was a bathtub, and I couldn't find a towel, so I waited for trees to grow so no one could see me escape, but it wasn't necessary because I began wearing an outfit of marshmallows, and I could run into things without getting hurt. It made me famous, and I was the only one who could wear this outfit because no one else had that special ability. I think the turtle turned into my 3rd grade teacher at some point, but I wasn't paying attention. I was late for class, and I hadn't turned in any assignments all term. I knew the teacher was going to have me exiled to Slovenia for this. It could happen...