Friday, December 03, 2010

Known Entity

You know, the words "you know" at the beginning of a sentence give confidence and reassurance to the listener that they will know the information to follow. "You know" at the end of a sentence shines a glaring light of the fact that your inept communication skills were not adequate enough to completely convey your message - requiring the listener to fill in the gaping holes in your thought. You know?

To me, this is a habit more than anything else. I've known people who would say "you know" even after I've given then the reassuring nod that I completely understood what they were saying.

Oh, and one more thing. I'm currently annoyed that there are those who wish to finish my sentences for me, or indeed say the last part of my sentence with me. They are pretending to know what I'm going to say by the end of my sentence so they play along. This causes me to redirect my sentence mid-sentence and try to derail their attempt to say it along with me.

You know who you are. Stop it.

1 comment:

Rusty Southwick said...

I always wonder why someone is telling me something in the first place if they think that I already know it. If they really want to help me out, they could find things to say that they're instead peppering with "you don't know". I already know what I know. I don't need someone to declare to me what I know. But it could be useful to hear things that I don't know. It's like, you don't know, the way the Spanish Inquisition symbolizes Bach's Brandenburg Concerto No. 4. You don't know?