Wednesday, August 04, 2010

You Rucky

I periodically determine that changing my name may be more advantageous. Names seem to carry too much weight. And everyone plays the 'Name Game' way too often to start another one here. However, it I benefit from a name change, what's to stop me from giving it a go? Apart from being taught my whole life to be proud of my name and to live up to my name, why would I keep it? I've grown far too attached to my name to ever let it go but it may be time to reconsider...

Today, I've decided to change my name to Jeff Luck. All too often I hear people say, "...as Luck would have it." I'm just trying to cash in on this. I envision a Utopian society where everyone falls all over themselves to provide for me as "I would have it." Imagine an entire society dedicated to making sure my preferences are satisfied. I would not wield my new-found name-power unwisely. I'd just do little things like make my iPhone work on Verizon's network and make great-tasting foods healthy.

There is a down side: I'd be blamed all too often for desertion "...her Luck ran out."

3 comments:

Brad McBride said...

So when Lady Luck smiles on me, are we talking Debi, or you in drag?

Rusty Southwick said...

Perhaps you could follow after the big stars (Bono, Sting, Madonna, Sade, Cher, Enya, Prince, Seal, Morrissey, Donovan, Beck, Jewel, Beyonce, Liberace, Dion, Sinbad, Coolio, Bjork, Shakira, Daughtry, Pele, Topol, Kenna, Goldfrapp, Plato, Eminem, Fabio, Melanie, Charo, Elvira, Limahl, Brad, Selena, The Rock, Vangelis, Tiffany, Dido, Nena, Yanni, Mozart, Slash, Ashanti, Monica, Des'ree, Mika, Hammer, Shannon, Rihanna, Martika, Duffy, Pink, Teller, Falco, DeBarge, The Edge, Pebbles, Brandy, Moby, Aeoliah, Usher, Fabian, Tollak, Babyface, Dido, Twiggy, and Elmo) to simplify things and just go by "Luck."

By the way, have you seen Robert Godwin's blog? You may and/or may not like it. He's an author, mainly on theology and sociopolitical ramifications, and he has a style all his own. I bought his book One Cosmos Under God, but haven't got to it yet. http://onecosmos.blogspot.com/

Jeff Crandall said...

Rusty: thanks for the tip on ONE CʘSMOS - anyone who can use 'yoinks' nonchalantly in a sentence is a friend of mine.

I noticed in your list a distinct lack of ordinary names (Brandy, Donovan, Shannon, and Melanie excluded) - Luck, being a normal word, may not stand the test of time like Pink or Fabio. Just sayin'.