Saturday, July 03, 2010

Does this Space Shuttle make me look fat?

What if astronauts could take a friend? As an astronaut you are granted a buddy pass. "Hey, dude, I'm going to the moon, wanna come with?" I can see astronauts passing all the physicals, all the rigorous testing, all the mental, physical, and emotional screening and then when they finally complete the process, the only thing they can think to do is invite their buddies to join in on the success. Oh the Astro-Frat parties that they would throw in the name of achievement. "Look at me, I'm an astronaut. And by the way, while I'm orbiting Earth don't think I won't be creating a little moonlight of my own out the window. "Endeavor this!"

Or better yet, "Hey, babe, there's room in this capsule for one more..." Although this sounds nice, I'm sure I'd ask a self-conscious girl, "No way," she'd say, "what if I get up there and everyone else is weightless EXCEPT ME?!?" Heh, pickup lines from an astronaut don't really have to be all that clever. "You are out of this world..." or "Want to take a ride in my rocket? We'll have a blast..." or "Sure you have to, but those space suits are slimming so no worries."

If it is our goal to one day inhabit space, we've got to start taking out civilians and test some of the gear on "end users." That way we know if they have been designed for the masses or just for the few highly skilled casanovastronauts.

No comments: